Good afternoon Warrior families,
I hope you are enjoying your summer break and looking forward to a fun filled school year. We are thrilled to welcome all of you back to a new school year of learning and growing. I am grateful to continue this journey with you as your Principal. Over the past year, I have had a chance to meet many of you and your children, and look forward to continue building a strong relationship with all of you in the upcoming year. Your partnership, as families, has been invaluable to Westwood Junior High’s success and I am grateful for your commitment and support.
As summer vacation comes to an end, I would like to apprise you of some changes that we will be implementing this school year. We formed a committee, including teachers, parents and administrators, to review our current student handbook.
Some of the notable changes:
- Advisory class will meet five days a week. This time will be utilized to build relationships within our school community and provide an opportunity to educate students about current social and emotional issues, which they experience and encounter.
- A student advisory council will be formed to discuss the current state of Westwood Junior High and to provide feedback on current systems and structures that exist within the school.
- A school wide binder system will be implemented to help each student with organizational and study skills.
- All students will be issued a locker. Backpacks, cell phones and personal belongings will need to be stored in lockers during the school day.
- Cell phones and ear buds will not be allowed in the hallways or common areas.
- Restroom passes will be issued at teacher discretion.
- A Tardy tracking system will be implemented this year to alert parents via phone communication when your student has received a tardy at school.
Thank you again for your continued support of Westwood Junior High. I am committed to growing our school community to greatness! I hope you all enjoy the rest of summer, and I look forward to seeing you for the upcoming school year.